SPAIN // FIB Festival

This is a life post, I'm going to be doing some of these as well as the odd little pieces and more random posts - just so we don't get stale and mimic every music blog ever. Fear not, there will be music in this post for you to go and listen to little ones.

Lets go back a few weeks, back to July 16th, and I was in sunny Spain - getting hyped to see Crystal Fighters. This year I was lucky enough to go to FIB in Benicassim, on Spain's east coast - not only was the weather insane, great heat into stunning sunsets but I saw some artists I've wanted to see for a while.

(The stillness of 3am)

We woke up at like 3am, and set off so early the world was still and there were no other cars for miles. It was surprisingly calming, but I managed to get some sleep - the next day I would be at FIB.
Now I've been to a few festivals, this year I was lucky enough to go to Radio 1's big weekend (which was located on my  freakin' university campus!), and I've seen a few gigs and in August I'll be off to Reading for the third consecutive year.
First day of music was my fave by far, I saw Florence and The Machine for the second time this year and she was no less spectacular. Flo has this grace and endearing charm with which the crowd just connects with, as if she was the mother of music. However she wasn't the best act I saw that day - her warm-up act was Crystal Fighters, and boy were they intense. They put on one of the most charged and energetic sets I've ever seen, they were my soundtrack last summer and they absolutely rocked it this year. 'Plage' was a massive highlight, they bust out a load of giant beach balls and the crowd was having the biggest blast ever (link to the madness here).

(me stepping out into the wild, wild heat)

The days to come wouldn't quite top it for me, but I was lucky enough to see huge acts such as Blur, The Kaiser Chiefs and even got to shake Flava Flav from Public Enemy's hand - which was perhaps the most odd yet exhilarating thing. Hudson Taylor put on a monster set, they were overjoyed just to be performing and that they had so may fans - I was majorly jealous of my mum who met them and had a little chat after the set while I was at Public Enemy.
Someone who deserved a better stage time was Madeon, the final act on the main stage on the final day (we're talking 3am start times). Madeon is someone I've wanted to see for ages, you've almost definitely heard his song 'Finale' either on FIFA or in most shops you will have been in last year, and he killed it. The kid is the same age as me and is already touring globally. Madeon sported an insane light show and did some impressive live mixing - including a few classics I didn't expect to see, such as his Deadmau5 remix which sent the crowd wild. If you love EDM and haven't given Madeon a chance listen to that remix, it is absolutely banging and just plain fun!

(Here is a pic of my sis enjoy)

Aside from the incredible festival I had plenty of fun exploring Barcelona, getting to visit all the Gaudi building and doing general touristy stuff. However, find of the week was hipster-heaven shop We Are Moloko, hidden underground was a treasure-trove of threaded loot, in a minimalist white-washed room, with the occasional rusty bicycle strewn out on the floor. We Are Moloko curates from several international clothing suppliers, many of which are Danish - proving that Danish fashion totally rocks. Unfortunately I didn't buy anything (student problems) but go check out their website and bathe in the glory they offer, what sucks the most, though, is that you can't buy any of their stock online - so if you fall in love with their clothes, like me, you better start saving for tickets.

(This is the cool, yet unassuming, entrance to my fashion dreams)

If you've got this far, thank you - I know this is a big post in comparison to prior ones, and there won't be loads of these don't worry. The focus is music, mostly, so if you've skipped to the end you can now enjoy this piece my pal Joanna recommended me, it's by a dude called Lukas Graham - released earlier this year as a single it's called '7 Years' off his second album, and it is powerful. Enjoy. (click me for massive tune)

Laters x

(It is me oh boy)

No comments :

Post a Comment